You are not the only person wondering, “what is the best self tanner,” especially not during the spring and summer months. With the dangers of the sun’s rays reported all over the media, self tanning is more popular than ever. What is the best self tanner for you really depends on your own personal preference, however these are the ones that get the best reviews from users everywhere.
Bare Escentuals Faux Tan is a best selling self tanner has a texture that is a cross between a lotion and a gel. It is darkly tinted to you can see it as you apply it to your skin, allowing you to get even coverage easily. Reviewers comment about how the shade is a true natural tan color, not orangey at all and dries down relatively quickly. There is minimal color transfer onto clothing, but follow the tips at the end of this page should help you avoid any unwanted color on your best clothes. This is one of the first products mentioned when people ask “what is the best self tanner” because it has been the same for many years and people keep coming back for more of the product. That is the sign of a truly remarkable self tanner. As for the scent, it is mild and does not smell heavily of chemicals like some other self tanners. As with most of the self sun tanners, the color develops initially within an hour or so, then deepens over the next 12-24 hours. For darker color, apply daily. You can apply this product with a brush to avoid getting the color on your hands.
Word of mouth has created the immense buzz around the St. Tropez Self Tan Bronzing Mousse. While the line consists of many self tanning products, the mousse is the one that gets the best reviews. The lack of smell is one of the first things noted by first-time users, as the chemical smell of other tanners can make using them unappealing. This self tanning foam provides a nice warm glow, not an orangey streaking of the skin. The color of the product allows you to see exactly where you apply it, minimizing the possibility of streaks and stripes. The mousse is often sold in a kit with the brand’s mitt, which allows you to tan your body without coloring your palms and fingers at the same time. The mousse texture makes the product quicker to dry on your skin than many gels or lotions meaning you do not feel sticky or tacky for hours afterwards. This is one of the many reasons why this self tanner is considered among the best.
The best self tan lotion is a tough category, simply because there are so many products to consider. The concept of applying a hydrating lotion once a day to build color to your skin is one that people love. The best self tan lotion, based on the reviews on multiple websites, is the L’Oreal Sublime Glow lotion. This product has a less significant odor than some of the other self tan lotions you can find and dries quickly, too. The color is also a winner with users, because it is not orange, but a natural hue that looks believable. Even women with fair skin love this product and feel it does not make them look like they used a faux tanning product.
Tips for Applying Self Tanner
Applying self tanner can be a challenging process, from reaching your nooks and crannies that are hard to get to, to getting unsightly orange marks on your palms and finger tips, it is often harder than it looks. A few of the products mentioned above offer applicators to help minimize the mess, but what about the rest of the challenges? Here are some tips for applying self tanner.
- Exfoliate everywhere you intend to apply the self tanning product before you apply it. This removes dead skin cells, which will hold on to the self tanning product and make you look blotchy and unnaturally colored.
- Moisturize after exfoliation and make sure it has absorbed in to your skin well before applying self tanners. If you are using a moisturizer with self tanner in it, make sure any especially dry areas of your skin have extra moisture first. This goes double for areas like elbows, knees and heels.
- If you are using a product that did not come with an applicator to help keep your hands clean, grab some latex or plastic gloves and get to work. This way you still protect your hands and easily throw away the mess when you are done. Another option is to purchase a self-tanning mitt to help you smooth on some color where you want it, not where you don’t.
- Be prepared to ask for help. Self tanning everywhere means you will likely be unable to reach everything personally. Get all the areas you can on your own, then invite a friend, husband, or boyfriend in to help you out with your back and other hard to reach areas.
- Grab a towel and only a towel. Doing your self tanning right after a shower (after you have exfoliated and moisturized, of course) is easiest. This way you can just camp out on the towel and wipe off excess product if needed. This minimizes the possible drips and drabs of faux tanner you might get on the floor, whether it is carpet, linoleum or tile.
- Don’t try a new product the day of or the day before a big event. Even if your best friend has raved about it non-stop your skin coloring and your body chemistry are completely different from hers. Do yourself a favor and only use what you know works and do it a day ahead of time to make sure you have a natural look.
- It is normal to see some of the color wash off in the shower. To maximize results wait at least eight hours before getting wet after applying self tanning products, though overnight is best.
By following these tips, you will have the best chance at a perfectly bronzed look. Remember, if you need more color, just add another layer the following day.